Town of Wolcott
Wolcott, located in White County in northwestern Indiana, has a population of 1001 and a median age of 39.4. It was founded in 1861 by Anson Wolcott, who platted out the town in a grid format around the Pittsburgh, Chicago and Saint Louis railroad in the same year that William Remington opened his general store six miles away.
Religion was a driving force behind the early prosperity of Wolcott and remains a core community value today. The first house of worship was built in 1874 and three others were formed before the turn of the century. In addition to the church charities, other organizations such as Psi Iota Xi Sorority, the American Legion and Wolcott Progressive Club support residents’ basic needs as well as organize social functions.
While it has an agricultural history, Wolcott also is known for its successful professional businesses, from the early Stetler Brothers general store in 1860 to today’s Bank of Wolcott. Other industries including light industrial, manufacturing, environmental and distribution can be found in Wolcott. Employers such as Aqua Environmental Container, Rite Way Concrete Seal, James Engleking Trucking and Dwyer Instruments employ more thank 200 people.